Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu (pictured top left), has suggested that there will be changes at the club after Friday night’s humiliating 8-2 defeat at the hands of German club Bayern Munich in the UEFA Champions League quarter-final .
The result means Barcelona ended the 2019-20 season without winning any trophies, and now Bartomeu has hinted at changes.
“It has been a very, very tough night. I am sorry for the Barca fans and members, for the players … For everyone,” Bartomeu told Movistar+.
“We were not the club that we represent, I am so sorry.”
“There are some decisions that we had already made, and others that we will make over the next few days. Announcements will be made from next week, we need to make decisions after things have calmed down.
“Today is a day for reflection. Tomorrow we will try to raise our fans’ spirits following such a heavy defeat.
“It was a devastating result. I congratulate Bayern, they played a great game and deserved to go to the semi-finals. We were not up to the occasion, and we can only apologise to the members and fans.”
Reports indicate Barcelona head coach Quique Setien, who took over from Ernesto Valverde in January could be sacked thus week and Bartomeu did not deny that reports.
“I prefer not to say anything about the coach,” Bartomeu said. “Many decisions were already made before playing the Champions League, but today is not the day [to talk about them].”